A little old village on US 122 [today, Route 10 and Street Road] two and a half miles north of Oxford, occupies part of a 500-acre tract granted to an English settler, Henry Hayes, in 1705. As late as 1822 it was simply called Hayes. There weren't enough settlers in the neighborhood until 1850 to open a post office. James Hayes was the first postmaster of Hayesville, and when the post office was closed in 1879 the name was almost rubbed off the map. The postal customers appealed to Congressman Washington Townsend for restoration of the post office. He had it restored in 1881, but not with the old name. The post office sported the name of Townsend and continued until 1896. Hayesville appears on a few maps but not on the official county map.
Limestone Road • Street Road • Township Road