Historic Village 
Five miles northwest of Downingtown, in East Brandywine Township, is a loose array of residential houses known as Little Washington. The place was called Buttertown and/or Cross Keys until Dr. A. K. Gaston, who lived there from 1840 to 1882, stubbed his toes on a prickly bush and shouted in pain, "This is Wild Brier," or words to that effect. Anyway, when a post office was established there on May 21, 1869, it was named Wild Brier. Hugh Pool, who succeeded Levi Allison as postmaster in 1886, moved the post office from Allison's store on the north side of Horse Shoe Pike to the Washington Inn, which was known prior to 1830 as Cross Keys, across the highway. The post office went out of existence in 1894. Although the tavern was destroyed by fire during the first World War, the name of the nation's first president survives as a village.