This village takes its name from Tussey mountain, at the eastern end of which it is located. It is situated about six miles east of Boalsburg and is delightfully placed in the valley. The village consists of quite a number of neat and commodious dwellings occupied by the residents who are retired farmers. There are three churches in the place. A Union, occupied by the Lutheran and Reformed congregations; an Evangelical Association and an Evangelical church or Dubsite. The post master, S. M. Swartz, is the only store keeper in the village; he began business there in 1878, and has continued there since. The post-office is connected with the store, which is one of the best stocked establishments in the whole valley. In this mercantile occupation, Mr. Swartz is assisted by his sons, who having been trained as merchants, are well qualified to relieve their father of the more arduous duties, connected with the business. Mr. Swartz is a firm adherent of the Evangelical Association, and for many years has been a trustee of that church.
The Union church, before alluded to, dates back in its history to the last century. The deeds show that in 1797 William Early, Esq., gave the land on which the present church is located to a committee to be held in trust for the uses of the Lutheran and Reformed congregations. In 1810 the Reformed congregation was organized by the Rev. Henry Rossman, grandfather of the present Henry Rossman of the village. The first church, a rude log structure, was built in the same year and was used continuously until 1837. In 1837 a new church was erected, the building committee being John Durst, Jonas From, John Neff, and John Stover, to which in 1879 a spire and bell tower were added. The congregations are now presided over by Rev. Rearick, Lutheran pastor at Centre Hall and Rev. Isenberg Reformed minister of the same place.
Henry Rossman, a grandson of the first Reformed pastor, and a life-long citizen of the village, is one of the best known men of the valley. He has the distinction of being the first funeral director in the valley to receive a diploma as a graduate embalmer of the dead. He now carries on the business of undertaking, in which he has been engaged twenty-three years. While a member of the Reformed church, his theological platform is broad in its charity to all others.
James M. Moyer, the blacksmith and wheelwright, has been for thirteen years established in the village, and during this time has made for himself and his trade a host of friends. Like his fellow townsman, Mr. Rossman, he is a member of the Reformed church, and is regarded as one of the pillars of that organization.
Church Hill Road • General Potter Highway • Tusseyville Road