Patton Township administrative offices are located at 100 Patton Plaza, State College PA 16803.
Patton Township was called in honor of Col. John Patton, a revolutionary officer (who resided at now Centre Furnace) and was erected while the territory was in Mifflin county, as early as 1794. The Gray and Hartsock families were the earliest settlers, who came in 1788 from Frederick county, Maryland. Iron mining was begun at an early day in this township, affording supply of ore for Centre Furnace. Scotia mines are located in this township, which is still rich in iron ore. The first settles of Patton were Methodists, which is the prevailing creed yet. The Bellefonte and Buffalo Run railroad to Bellefonte, and Lewisburg&Tyrone railroad to Tyrone are the outlets of the ore products. Quite a busy hamlet known as Scotia has sprung up in this township through the mining operations of Carnegie Brothers of Pittsburg. Population in 1850,453; in 1860, 664; in 1870, 721; in 1880, 761; in 1890, 1045.