Harris Township was erected out of Ferguson, Potter and Spring at April Sessions 1835, and was named in compliment to James Harris, a prominent citizen of Bellefonte, and a noted land surveyor. Its territory was considerably diminished by the erection of College Township in 1875. Among its early settlers were Jacob Jack, Michael Jack, James Watson, John Irvin, James Galbraith, etc., and its earlier surveys dates back to 1767. Its oldest village, Boalsburg, was laid out by Andrew Stroup, December 10, 1810, and Boalsburg Academy was erected in 1853. Its other village, Linden Hall, is situated on the Lewisburg and Tyrone railroad. The Bear Meadows located in the southern end of the township is an interesting feature of the township and now the scene of extensive lumber operations. Population 1999; 1880, 942; 1890, 869.