It takes its name from the Wismer family whose ancestor, Hans Michael Wismer, arrived at Philadelphia in the ship Priscilla, Captain William Wilson, from Rotterdam and Cowes, September 12, 1750. The history of the family shows that many members took part in the Mennonite migration to the Niagara peninsula, Ontario, Canada. "Among them was Isaac Wismer, who married Anna High and Catherine Wismer, who married John High. They were brother and sister of my great grandfather, Henry Wismer, who was a farmer, drover, and clock and watchmaker, whose farm in Plumstead Township was located on both sides of Durham Road between North Branch of Neshaminy Creek and Hinkletown. It was his custom to visit his brother and sister in the Niagara peninsula and to bring back with him to Bucks County droves of horses. While on such a journey in 1828, he died from typhoid fever at the residence of his brother Isaac along the shore of Lake Ontario, on a farm now owned and occupied by Isaac's grandson, William Andrew Wismer." [ms. of Henry W. Scarborough]
Samuel Hart was landlord in 1764 of a tavern which stood on Stump Road, half a mile east of Wismer. It was here the body of Moses Doan, the outlaw, was taken after he was slain. Only the foundations remain today. The identity of this Samuel Hart is uncertain, but he is probably a son of William Hart, landlord of Plumsteadville Tavern. Elias Wismer, who kept a small store at the northwest corner of the crossroads, was succeeded by his son Henry prior to 1860. May 21, 1872, he became postmaster and held the office until his death, February 12, 1920. He was one of the organizers of Union Creamery and its treasurer and was also a director in Point Pleasant Bridge Company and Danboro and Point Pleasant Turnpike Company. He was successful in business. He formed a partnership with his brother-in-law, Joseph Lear, in the store business and after Lear's death conducted the store alone. During the World War the post office received more War Savings Stamps than any other office of its class in the county. Daniel F. Merganthaler, the canvasser, had the remarkable record of selling about $14,000 worth maturity value. The first mail between Wismer and Point Pleasant was carried by Lewis Wismer. His successors were Jacob Eisentrager and Asher R. Lear. This stage line was quite profitable in Lear's time until the trolley line was built, when he started in the creamer business. After the death of Henry Wismer, the store property was sold. It had several owners, Frank Kolbe being the last postmaster. The post office was move to Smiths Corner and then in 1930 to Melchers Corner.
Stump Road • Wismer Road