Blacksmith Philip Hinkle came to the area from Germantown and made various land purchases in and around the village between 1766 and 1793. A hotel and inn was established sometime prior to 1793. In the record of one of his land purchases, Hinkle is referred to as "Innkeeper of Plumstead."
On a draft of the land purchase record of 1793 (purchased from William McCalla of Abington Twp, Montgomery County) a map shows the village at the crossroads of Stump and Durham (Route 413) with outlines of 5 buildings noted.
In addition to being a farmer and innkeeper during the Revolutionary War period, Hinkle was locally renowned as an auctioneer. Philip Hinkle had many descendants, a significant number of whom went on to distinguish themselves as business persons and developers.
Durham Road • Stump Road