Joseph Bladen built a tavern in 1759 at the intersection of Old Easton Rd and Durham Roads in Bedminster Township. It was acquired by noted Continental Army Colonel George Piper in 1778. On his death in 1823, Piper's son-in-law took over the business and the village was thus renamed Keichlines Tavern. In 1845, a post office was created (Jacob Nicholson postmaster) with the name Pipersville.
The Piper Tavern is claimed to have been frequented by James A. Michener, Pearl S. Buck, Dorothy Parker, S.J. Perelman, Moss Hart, George S. Kauffman and Walter Slezak.
A village library was established in 1877 and today resides in a small chapel that was built in 1886.
The tavern continues in operation. Our first visit (lunch, summer 2004) treated us to an open kitchen, cloth napkins and table coverings, a varied menu, reasonable prices, and pleasing service.
Dark Hollow Road • Duram Road • Old Easton Road • Route 413