The Klamath County Courthouse is located at 316 Main Street, Klamath Falls, OR 97601; phone: 541-883-5503.
The Applegate brothers, Jesse and Lindsey, explored in this region in 1846 and in 1848 organized the Klamath Commonwealth to settle the area; discovery of gold in California, however, led the settlers to another destination. Wendolen Nus, first permanent settler in the Klamath country, built a cabin and established a claim on the west shore of Klamath Lake in 1858. Others settled in the Basin in the early sixties. In 1863 a United States military post, known as Fort Klamath, was established to the north of the lake. In 1864 a treaty was negotiated with the Indians and the Klamath Reservation was established.