Home | Whats New | Site Index | Search

Burns City

Harney County, Oregon

Burns City Hall is located at 242 South Broadway, Burns OR 97720.
Phone: 541‑573‑5255.

Neighborhoods

Beginnings [1]

During the late 1870's and early 1880's, the community of "Burns", in then united Grant County, continued to grow. On January 22, 1884, "Burns", named after the Scottish poet Robert Burns, was officially recognized.

By the end of 1888, Burns had a population of 250 and several businesses including two mercantile stores, blacksmith shop, meat market, drug store, harness&saddle shop, livery stable, barber, land office, school, church, jeweler, two newspapers, two hotels, three saloons, three physicians, two carpenters, a race track, two lawyers, a sawmill, surveyor, furniture store, mortician, hardware store, and a brewery.

  1. Harney County Planning Department, Harney County Comprehensive Plan, 1985, Burns, OR