Home | Whats New | Site Index | Search

Canton City

Stark County, Ohio

Canton City Hall is located at 218 Cleveland Avenue, SW, Canton OH 44702.
Phone: 330‑489‑3283.

Neighborhoods

Beginnings

Founded in 1805, Canton was incorporated as a village in 1822 and re-incorporated as a city in 1838. The city was named by surveyor Bezaleel Wells. Wells was an admirer of John O'Donnell of Maryland. O'Donnell was one of the first to establish trade with Canton China, and had named his Maryland plantation after the city. [www.cantonohio.gov, accessed, December, 2011]