Tiffin City

Seneca County, Ohio

HomeWhats NewSite IndexContactSearch

Tiffin City Hall is located at 51 East Market Street, Tiffin, Ohio 44883.
Phone: 419-448-5401.


Jeremiah Good House (The Octagon)

Neighborhoods

The history of Tiffin [†] dates back to 1812. The familiar bronze statue of "The Indian Maiden" on Frost Parkway, near Miami Street, marks the site of Fort Ball, which was a military depot of the war of 1812. Fighting an engagement of that war, Eratus Bowe first sighted the location upon which Tiffin now stands. In 1817, he returned to the site and built his Pan Yan Tavern, which later became a stagecoach stop, on the north Sandusky River.

Tiffin was incorporated by an act of the Ohio Legislature on March 7, 1835. These two communities, split by the Sandusky River, were rivals; however, in 1850, seeing that later their interests lay together, the villages merged to form Tiffin, with Fort Ball becoming a part of Tiffin in March of that year. Tiffin has been the home of Ballreich's Brothers, a potato chip company, since 1920. While the company's retail market is Northern Ohio, its products have acquired a reputation that extends far beyond its local retail market and are available for shipping anywhere.

Tiffin St. Paul's United Methodist Church was the first church in the world to be lit by Edison's light bulb, and the first public building in the United States to be wired for electricity. Tiffin is home to a large population of German-Americans and a smaller but significant population of Italian-Americans. Tiffin is the home of the historic Ritz Theatre, built in 1928 as a vaudeville house with an Italian Renaissance design. The Ritz Theatre underwent extensive renovation and restoration in 1998. A new Mercy Hospital of Tiffin was built and opened in July 2008.

Tiffin Mall Offering Memorandum, Colliers Internationa, 2019.


HomeWhats NewSite IndexContact
PrivacyDisclaimer • © 1997-2024, The Gombach Group