Photo: Elias Williams House, ca. 1836, 565 Granville Street, Newark, OH. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Photographed by User:Wdzinc (own work), 2012, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed July, 2015.
Newark City Hall is located at 40 West Main Street, Newark, OH 43055.
In the year 1802, 4,220 acres west of the North Fork of the Licking River were bought from Revolutionary War soldiers and settled. That land would eventually become modern-day Newark, Ohio. The first log homes were built around the present Courthouse Square and the new settlement was named after and laid out according to the City of Newark, New Jersey. 200 years later, the City has grown and progressed considerably. Newark currently incorporates over 13,000 acres and has grown from 15 to 20 families in 1804 to 46,279 residents in 2000.
Newark, the county seat of Licking County, is located on the fringe of the rapidly expanding Greater Columbus region. Over the last ten years, eastern Licking County has experienced a great amount of growth that led the County to be the 14th fastest growing county in Ohio in 2000. As the suburban type development progresses closer to Newark, the City becomes more closely associated with Columbus and less as an entity of its own.[ACP Visioning & Planning, Ltd and the City of Newark, Destiny 2020: Comprehensive Plan, 2002, www.newarkohio.net, accessed July, 2015]
Nearby Towns: Granville Vlg •