Palmyra Village Hall is located at 144 East Main Street, Palmyra NY 14522.
Originally settled around 1789, Palmyra was first called Swifts Landing, then, District of Tolland, and in 1796, the name was changed to Palmyra, supposedly for the purpose of impressing a new school teacher.
Palmyra Village was incorporated March 29, 1827, while the first village election was held at the house of Lovell Hurd, February 4, 1828, when the following officers were elected: Trustees, Joseph Colt, president, Joel Thayer, Thomas Rogers, Nathaniel H. Beckwith and James White; clerk, Thomas P. Baldwin; treasurer, William Parke; assessors, George N. Williams, Alvah Hendee and George Beckwith; fire wardens, Stephen Ackley, Pliny Sexton and Benjamin Throop.
The Palmyra post office was established in 1806 with Dr. Azel Ensworth the first postmaster. The Doctor kept the first public house in the corporation. It stood on the site of the present Methodist church and was opened in 1792. In 1796 Louis Philippe of France stopped on his return from Niagara at the log tavern opened by Gideon Durfee where the George Townsend house now stands. The present Powers Hotel, built where a succession of hostelries have stood, was erected about 1835 by a company of public spirited men, who sold it to the genial host — the late William P. Nottingham. As the Palmyra House he kept it nearly thirty years.
Though not completed until 1825, the Erie Canal reached Palmyra in 1822.
Nearby Towns: Macedon Vlg •