Clyde Village Hall is located at 6 South Park Street, Clyde NY 14433; phone: 315-923-3971.
The Village of Clyde was incorporated in 1835. The location was originally called "Block House," from a block house built here by Indian traders at an early day. During the American Revolution it was converted into a "station" for smuggling goods from Canada via Sodus Bay, by the Tories. After it had assumed the dimensions of a village, it was named "Lauraville," for Henrietta Laura, Countess of Bath, daughter and heiress of Sir William Pulteney. Its name was changed to Clyde in 1818. The Erie Canal passes through the village. There was, in 1867, a station of the New York Central Rail Road. At that time the village contained 6 churches, 3 banks, a newspaper office (The Clyde Times), a window glass factory, a glass bottle factory, a distillery, steam flouring and saw mills, grain warehouses and elevators, 2 furnaces for manufacturing agricultural implements and heavy equipment, 2 cooperages, a brewery, 2 paper mills, 4 malt houses, and 1 tannery. The population in 1867 was about 3,100.