Shawangunk Town Hall is located at 14 Central Avenue, Wallkill, NY 12589.
The first Europeans to settle here came about 1670. The region was organized in 1743 as a precinct and was incorporated as the Town of Shawangunk in 1788. The name is the Dutch version of an Indian word (Scha-wan-gunk) meaning there is smoky air. Contemporary residents typically describe their home as one of Wallkill, Pine Bush, or Walker Valley, reflecting in which part of the town they live.
Nearby Towns: Gardiner Town • Montgomery Town •