Caroline Town Hall is located at 2670 Slaterville Road, Slaterville Springs, NY 14881.
The town was organized in 1811 when it was set off from Spencer, but it did not become part of Tompkins County until 1823. It is named for Caroline, daughter of Dr. Joseph Speed, one of the pioneers.
Settlement in Caroline was begun by Captain David Rich, originally from the western part of Massachusetts, but later from Vermont where he had kept a tavern; he came to the east part of town in 1795 by way of New Jersey (where he made a short stay), Apalachin (Tioga County) and thence up the Owego Creek. He purchased between 100 and 200 acres, and his deed is the first recorded to an actual settler in Caroline. He had been a tavern keeper before his removal to this town, and followed in the same business here, first in a log house. He held several town offices and died, at age 92, in 1852.