Southold Town Hall is located at 53095 Route 25, Southold NY 11971.
First settlers, ca. 1640, were Reverend John Youngs, William Wells, Barnabas Horton, Thomas Mapes, John Tuthill, and Matthias Corwin, among others. Initial government was vested in church members. They were the only ones allowed to vote or hold office. The town passed from the jurisdiction of Connecticut to New York. When Suffolk County was organized in 1683, it recognized six towns, Southold being the oldest. Rev. Young's was the first church was erected (1641) in the village of Southold; it was the first church in the territory that would become New York State.