Originally known as "Pratt's Corners" this hamlet had its origin as a crossroads community with a tavern and general store. It was renamed "Covert" sometime between 1852 and 1859.
The first frame building in the village was erected in 1815 by Samuel Almy and Peter Rappylee and was used as a store by Job Almy. A blacksmith shop was erected in 1816. That same year John C. Covert built a house. Dr. Allen Almy, Dr. Reuben S. Brown, Jacob Probasco, and Elizabeth Kennedy each erected dwellings about 1815. Abram Impson built a wagon factory in 1817. In 1815 Nicholas Rappylee built a house in 1815 which subsequently became the village's first schoolhouse with Joshua C. Covert being the first teacher.