Milton Town Hall, 503 Geyser Road, Ballston Spa, NY 12020.
Milton was formed from Ballston in 1792 and part of Greenfield was taken off in 1793. It lies a little south of the center of the county. Child's Gazetteer of 1871 notes the following villages within the town: Rock City Mills, West Milton, Bloodville, Factory Village, Milton Center and Crane's Village.
The Artesian Lithium Spring, discovered by boring into the solid rock some 650 feet, was one of the most valuable springs in Saratoga County and was regarded for its medicinal qualities.
The first settlement was made before the American Revolution by David Wood and his sons Stephen, Benjamin, Elijah, Nathan and Enoch. They purchased 600 acres and moved into the town. Benajah Douglas built a log house near the springs for the accommodation of visitors in 1792. Silas Adams and Elijah Walbridge located in the north part of the town about 1784 or 1785. In 1792 Nicholas Law built a tavern near the spring, and in 1804 erected the "Sans Souci Hotel." While Saratoga was just being noticed, the Sans Souci was patronized regularly by the elite of the country.
John Ball was the first supervisor of Milton. The first church (Baptist) was organized in 1793.
Nearby Towns: Ballston Spa Vlg • Ballston Town • Greenfield Town • Malta Town • Round Lake Vlg • Saratoga Springs City •