Monroe Village Hall is located at 7 Stage Road, Monroe NY 10950.
William Smith, Sr. had made three purchases of land in the Cheesecock Patent in 1734 and 1736, taking over the ownership of the holdings of two of the original patentees, and was co-owner with James Alexander of Great Mountain Lot 4. The patentees were listed as John Chambers, Phillip Livingston, John McEvers, Catherine Symes, William Smith and James Alexander.
The changing loyalty from the Dutch to the British population is reflected by the names of the inhabitants of Orange County in 1702 (all of which were Dutch), and by the growing population listed in reports from the Provincial Governors of New York to London. By the time of Governor Clinton's report to London of 1746, a population of 763 white males between the ages of 16 and 60 were shown as inhabitants of the county. Of these, many were small landholders who bought from the original patentees, and among them was the second Smith family to buy land in the Clove, David Smith (b.1701-d.1787) of Brookhaven, Long Island. He was forty-six years old, and came with his four sons, buying from Phillip Livingston Lot 43 containing 276 acres for the price of ninety pounds. This lot, and a second lot bought by David Smith in 1761 (Lot 34) from James McEvers, are the site of the present Village of Monroe. Clinton's Field Book describes Lot 43 as situated on "a sudden bend of the Ramapo," at a point where a fall in the river made possible the building of a grist mill, the ruins of which still survive.