Phelps Village Hall is located at 8 Banta Street, Suite 150, Phelps NY 14532.
When John Decker Robinson erected a tavern in 1793, the locality quickly became a trading center, giving birth to what is now the Village of Phelps. By 1812 the village became so important that outsiders who spoke in derision referred to it as "Woodpecker City." A post office was created in 1812 under the name of "Vienna." David McNeil was the first postmaster. Mail stage routes were established between Phelps, and Geneva, Palmyra and Pittsford.
The village continued growing under the name Vienna until 1855, at which time it was incorporated as the Village of Phelps. The first elected trustees included Zenus Wheeler, Dolphin Stephenson, Harvey Carey, Anson Titus and John Trisler.
The first village school was in operation by 1805. In 1889 the Phelps Water Works Company laid mains through the principal streets. Presbyterian and Methodist churches were organized in 1831, an Episcopal church in 1832, a Baptist church in 1843, and a Roman Catholic church in 1856.
About 1832 the Phelps Citizen and Clifton Springs News. was founded.