Jordan Village Hall is located at 7 Mechanic Street, Jordan NY 13080.
In 1797 Zercas and Owen Wright built the first house within the present boundaries of the village of Jordan. By 1800 a mill had been erected on the bank of the Skaneateles Creek which runs north through the village. In 1805 the Seneca Turnpike (Route 5) and the Cherry Valley Turnpike (Route 20), two major east-west highways, were constructed south of the village. Despite this, Jordan became a major transportation center after one of the earliest sections of the new Erie Canal was constructed through the village in 1819. The Jordan Feeder, which fed the canal via Skaneateles Creek, had its source in Skaneateles Lake, located about twelve miles south-southwest of the village. Several dams were erected along the creek to regulate flow into the canal and to provide water power for Jordan's expanding mill industry. The Jordan Feeder provided a tremendous impetus to the village's early nineteenth century growth. By 1825 there were three mills; a post office opened in 1831 and the first local newspaper, the Jordan Courier, was published. Commerce and industry expanded and flourished during the next decade, and by 1836, the year after the village was incorporated, Jordan had 3 grist mills, 3 saw mills, a sash factory, a distillery and a clothing shop as well as 5 taverns, 7 general stores, 2 drug stores and 5 grocery stores.
Nearby Towns: Brutus Town • Elbridge Town • Elbridge Vlg •