Clinton Village Hall is located at 100 North Park Row, Clinton NY 13323; phone: 315-853-5231.
Clinton was settled in 1787 by Connecticut families who named their settlement for New York Governor George Clinton. Clinton prospered early as a rural agricultural and manufacturing village. Fertile land, water power furnished by Criskany Creek, and proximity to land and water transportation routes contributed to the economic development of Clinton during the nineteenth century. The Chenango Canal, built through Clinton (1834-35), brought Pennsylvania coal to fuel local iron furnaces and carried away Clinton's produce and freight. Archeological remnants of the canal bed and stone lock may be seen on the southern side of College Street and Chenango Avenue. College and Utica Streets were incorporated in 1847 into the Utica-Waterville Plank Road.