North Tonawanda City Hall is located at 216 Payne Avenue, North Tonawanda, NY 14120.
Phone: 716‑695‑8555. North Tonawanda is bordered on the south by the Erie Canal, at a point where the Canal meets the Niagara River.
The area that is now North Tonawanda was first settled around 1809 and was part of the Town of Wheatfield. In 1857 it was incorporated as the Village of Tonawanda, then, in 1865, as the Village of North Tonawanda, and finally, in 1897, it was incorporated as the City of North Tonawanda.
The Sweeney and Vandervoort families were the first resident landowners in the old village limits. James Sweeney bought farm lots in 1824. His brother-in-law, William Vandervoort, bought a farm lot in 1826. Colonel Lewis Payne settled here about 1841, and in 1847 he erected the first steam saw mill. Beginning with the completion of the Erie Canal, and continuing for about 100 years, North Tonawanda was one of the most important lumber markets in the Great Lakes region.