The hamlet of Salisbury Center became the seat of local trade and water-powered industry for the surrounding farming region. In 1890, a group of eighteen local farmers (that included five women) gathered to establish the Salisbury Center Grange No. 624, National Order of the Patrons of Husbandry.
At the local level, the Grange chapter provided a forum for disseminating information about farming methods and practices, as well as a place to discuss issues of the day as they affected farm families. The Grange meeting hall achieved significance as the social focus for rural communities, providing a venue for musical and dramatic entertainment, travelling lecturers, dances and community suppers.
Curtis Road • Fairview Road • Kingsley Road • Mechanic Street • Route 29