Salisbury Town Hall is located at 126 State Route 29A, Salisbury Center NY 13454.
The town of Salisbury was established in 1797 by settlers from Connecticut. Attracted by the abundant timber and swiftly flowing streams of the region, numerous speculators and entrepreneurs began arriving there during the last decade of the eighteenth century. The hamlet of Salisbury Center became the seat of local trade and water-powered industry for the surrounding region. The hilly terrain was suited to dairy farming; the area around Salisbury had achieved a reputation for quality cheese production by the first decade of the nineteenth century. One of the region's first settlers to achieve prosperity during this period was Augustus Frisbie. Frisbie pioneered water-powered industry in Salisbury by establishing the first textile finishing mill on the banks of Spruce Creek. Frisbie also became a successful farmer, acquiring over 400 acres. By 1815, local tax records indicate that Augustus Frisbie's property value exceeded $4,000, placing his wealth above most of his Salisbury contemporaries. Frisbie was a man of influence, taking an active role in local politics and helping to found the local Universalist Church in Salisbury Center.