Litchfield Town Hall is located at 1241 Albany Road, Clayville NY 13322.
The town was formed from German Flatts at the same time as Frankfort. It was not settled until after the Revolution, when in 1796 Elijah Snow, a native of Massachusetts, settled on what was known as Wheelock's Hill, formerly called "Snow's Bush." William Brewer and Ezekiel Goodale, of Massachusetts, John Andrews, Christopher Rider, from Connecticut, Ebenezer Drewry (or Drury) and John Everett from New Hampshire, and John and Eleazer Crosby from Connecticut, came into town about the year 1787.
The first school was taught by Jeremiah Everett. The first store was kept by David Davis and the first tavern by Joseph Sheppard. John Littlejohn established the first grist mill about 1806. The first town meeting was held on April 5, 1796.
The Litchfield Furnace was established in 1816 on Moyer Creek. By the end of the 19th century there were 6 cheese factories in town, including the Kinne factory which was the second one established in Herkimer County.