Hunter Town Hall is located at 5748 Route 23A, Tannersville, NY 12485.
The Town of Hunter (originally Greenland), located in the southeast quadrant of Greene County, was formed from Windham in 1813 and renamed a year later in honor of John Hunter, an early proprietor. Hunter's three primary hamlets were Hunter, Tannersville, and Haines Falls. Haines Falls is located at the western end of Kaaterskill Clove, its site marked by a 150 foot waterfall (the second highest in the Catskills).
The development of the Hunter Turnpike in 1824 was important to the development of the town. The toll road was the first through the challenging Clove area, which had been virtually inaccessible up until this time. The Hunter Turnpike linked the town with Catskill and vastly increased its possibilities of settlement and development. Today, NY 23A, the most direct road to Haines Falls, Tannersville and Hunter, takes a gentler and more gradual path following the side of the Clove.