Hunter Village Hall is located at 7955 Main Street, Hunter, New York
Settled shortly after the Revolution, ca. 1790. Colonel William Edwards built a large tannery here in 1822. With the coming of the railroad in the 1880s, Hunter was transformed into a village of hotels, boardinghouses and main street shops. — Mountain Top Historical Society, Historical Marker
"In the time of contraction succeeding the war, the corporate company which had been organized by Mr. Edwards and friends failed. Aided by New York friends who were in the leather business, he began anew in the wilderness, 1817, in the town of Hunter, Greene County, N. Y., and erected what was for years the largest tannery in the United States. In 1830, this was burned to the ground, but was rebuilt the same year by the assistance of three of Mr. Edwards' sons. He retired from business in 1834. The last years of his life were passed in Brooklyn, at the home of his son Richard and daughter Elizabeth, and he died there in the eighty-second year of his age. Mrs. Edwards survived him a few years." — source: Edwards, William H., Timothy and Rhoda Ogden Edwards of Stockbridge, Mass., and their Descendants: A Geneology, Robert Clarke Company, 1903, Cincinnati.