Photo: Dr. A. H. Allen Cottage, ca. 1909, 22 Catherine St, Saranac Lake, Franklin County, NY. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. Photographed by User:Mwanner (own work), 2008, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed August, 2013.
The Franklin County Courthouse is located at 355 West Main Street, Malone NY 12953; 518‑483‑6767.
Alexander Macomb, a merchant who profited handsomely during the American Revolution, purchased more than 3.5 million acres from NY State in 1791. Macomb's War enterprises included trading supplies for furs with British Troops and Native Indians in the area of Detroit, MI. The territory he purchased included what are today the counties of Lewis, Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Franklin in addition to parts of Herkimer and Oswego.
The county was created in 1808, from part of Clinton County, and named for Bejamin Franklin. The county was created essentially because Clinton was too large for all its residents to travel to Plattsburgh for county business was a burden.
The Franklin County Historical and Museum Society operates from its headquarters, the Nathan Knapp House (ca. 1863), located at 51 Milwaukee Street, Malone NY 12953.