Staatsburg is about 85 miles north of New York City, along the east bank of the Hudson River. Staatsburg roughly marks a point where the steep banks of the Hudson begin to slope less sharply.
Staatsburg was once a station stop on the New York Central Railroad.
In 1693, Captain Henry Pawling, an English officer, bought 4,000 acres of land in Dutchess County from the Indians. In 1698, his widow and children obtained a Crown patent, but in 1701 sold their rights to Dr. Samuel Staats and Dirck Van Der Burgh, both of New York City, for £130. The village name is a union of the names of the two owners.
In earlier years, ice cutting on the Hudson River was an important industry and directly west of the village was one of the largest plants. In 1858, J. H. Bodenstein established a shop for the manufacture of ice cutting implements. By 1940 the expanded business (the Staatsburg Ice Tool Works) was selling its products both across the U.S. and abroad.
Privacy | Disclaimer | LivingPlaces.com © 1997-2019 | The Gombach Group • Contact • 3051