banner search whats new site index home


In 1898 Dunraven was a post station on the Plattekill. In the days when the country was new, and lumbering and tanning were prominent industries, it contained a grist mill and a tannery. The first of many Middletown tanneries was built here early in the (19th) century. A primitive feature of the tannery was that the vats for tanning the skins were made by digging holes in the earth and pounding in a lining of blue clay. In 1898 there were at Dunraven a mill and lumber yard owned by Olney Smith. [1]

  1. Murray, David, LL.D. (ed.), Delaware County New York, History of the Century: 1797-1897, William Clark Publisher, Delhi NY, 1898.

Dunraven Map

Street Names
Ben Meeker Road • Route 28

Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed.
Privacy | Disclaimer
LivingPlaces.com © 1997-2019
The Gombach Group • Contact • 3051