Homer Town Hall is located at 31 North Main Street, Homer NY 13077.
The town of Homer was organized March 5th, 1794, and originally embraced the townships of Homer and Cortland. The town officers were not, however, limited to the town limits, but Virgil and Solon were permitted to share in their selection. The territory has a broken and diversified surface — presenting to the observer the rugged hill and fertile valley. The soil is generally good, — consisting of clay, sandy and gravelly loam, while flats of rich alluvion border East and West River.
The pioneers of Homer were a people who revered the Bible, and valued its ordinances. They brought with them corresponding habits. When six families had arrived in town (1793), they all convened upon the Sabbath day and commenced public religious worship. From that day to the present time, (1859) this divine reverence has been continued on the Sabbath, and we are assured from the most positive authority that there has occurred but one omission. This is a fact of marked significance, bearing upon the character of the people and the prosperity of the settlement. It was a common saying, as emigrant families came from New England on to the Military Tract, if you wish to settle among " religionists," go to Homer.
Nearby Towns: Cortland City •