Home | Whats New | Site Index | Search

Chatham Village

Columbia County, New York

Chatham Village Hall is located at 77 Main Street, Chatham NY 12037.
Phone: 518‑392‑5821.

Neighborhoods

Beginnings [1]

Known in the 1800s as Chatham Four Corners, the Village was incorporated in 1869. It was the terminus of the Harlem, Harlem Extension and Hudson and Chatham Branch of the Boston & Albany railroads.. Population in 1871 was about 1,500. At that time it contained a bank, a printing office (which printed the weekly Chatham Courier), four hotels, three churches, one school, one machine shop and furnace, and one paper mill.It was the location of the Columbia County Agricultural Society.

  1. Hamilton Child, Gazetteer and Business Directory of Columbia County, N.Y., for 1871-1872, The Journal Office, Syracuse, 1871.