Greene Town Hall is located at 51 Genesee Street, Greene NY 13778.
The township of Greene was opened for settlement after the Revolutionary War, with revocation of the "line of Property" along the Susquehanna River and the Unadilla River which previously had protected Indian lands west of the rivers from white settlement. Governor Clinton purchased the land on the east side of Greene from the Indians in 1785. Land west of the Chenango River was opened in 1788. The first settler in what is now the village of Greene founded a homestead in the spring of 1792. In the subsequent decade the township's first gristmill, sawmill, and tavern were established, and in 1798 the first town meeting was held.