Dickinson town Hall is located at 531 Front Street, Binghamton NY 13905.
The Town of Dickinson was formed in 1890, making it the youngest town in the Broome County. However, historical records indicate a settlement along the west bank of the Chenango River a century earlier. A historical marker north of Sunrise Terrace attests to the site of the area's first court, held under elm trees, in 1791. At that time the area was part of the Town of Chenango but in 1855 it became part of the Town of Binghamton. Originally, Broome County was inhabited by various Indian tribes of the Iroquois nation. The Clinton-Sullivan expedition found the Otsiningo Village (near Otsiningo Park) that was subsequently abandoned in 1779. The well-worn Indian trails served as the first crossroads and logical site for the west-bank settlement.
The eastern side of the river was incorporated as the Village of Port Dickinson in 1876. The activity from the Chenango Canal traffic resulted in several mills and factories developing around this "port" to the canal. When the City of Binghamton was incorporated in 1867 and began to expand its borders, it engulfed enough of the Town of Binghamton to effectively split the town in two. This provided the impetus for the formation of the Town of Dickinson in 1890. A portion of the Town was annexed to the City of Binghamton in 1945.
Nearby Towns: Binghamton City •