Photo: Houcks Hall, Historic American Buildings Survey [HABS NY-6000]. Photographed January 16, 1937 by Nelson E. Baldwin.
Built ca. 1845, his was at one time an old tavern, used frequently by the stage coaches when crossing the county, and where mail was frequently exchanged.
In 1937 it was used as a private dwelling and was rented to a family by the name of Houck during the summers. At one time it was also used as a meeting house.
The HABS catalog record notes: "It is an interesting, if rather clumsy, example of the Classic Revival in minor domestic architecture.
History records much about the Houck family, typically reported under the Town of New Scotland. Many references are to people and events prior to 1832. Prior to 1832 New Scotland was part of Bethlehem. Therefore, Houcks Corners (Bethlehem) was likely named for this prominent family, sometime prior to New Scotland being taken off of Bethlehem.
Elm Avenue • Feura Bush Road