This village was named for Alexander Reid (known as Sandy Reid), who settled here in 1828, and established the first public house. He was also the first postmaster of the place.
Frederick Ward and James Anderson started in the mercantile business here about this time. The firm afterward became Ward & Conger.
The Congers became the owners of much property in and about the village, and held prominent places in local politics.
The village was an important center during the anti-rent struggles, and this cause was championed by Hubbard Gallup and David and Hugh Conger.
The village has  two churches, one blacksmith shop, a tavern, and two stores.
The main store is kept by Alfred R. Hungerford.
Cass Hill Road • North Road • Route 11