Wanaque Borough Hall is located at 579 Ringwood Avenue, Wanaque NJ 07465.
Wanaque was incorporated as a borough in 1918.
According to local history, the name Wanaque is thought to have been derived from the Lenni Lenape Native American word meaning rest and repose. [wikipedia.org, accessed April, 2013]
Wanaque as described in 1939 
The confusion in village boundaries should not disturb the visitor, for no one in Wanaque Borough seems to know where its component hamlets begin and end. The Community House is a brown frame building of two stories with 12 large, homey rooms and the good smell of unpainted lumber. The ground-floor office of the borough clerk, adorned with flatwood benches for whoever cares to drop in for a chat, has a big stone fireplace. The top floor is given over to the police department. The building houses most of Wanaque's social events, from bingo parties to an occasional game of kelly-pool.
Outside the Community House is another War Memorial, twin of the Riverdale statue. Habitues of the municipal office are not sure which was erected first. The general opinion is that they were both bought at the same time, at a saving. The only dissimilarity is that the abandoned and upturned hat of the Wanaque monument is open, whereas in Riverdale the crown has been covered over with a neatly fitted metal plate. This makes a difference to the birds.
Wanaque Borough's biggest industry is the Hercules Woven Label Mill, occupying a long, low, gray frame building.
Nearby Towns: Butler Boro • Franklin Lakes Boro •