Hanover Township municipal offices are located at 1000 Route 10, Whippany, NJ 07981; phone: 973-428-2500.
Hanover was first settled about 1685, soon after the settlement of Newark, and is supposed to have been the earliest settlement within the limits of what is now Morris and Sussex Counties. The first settlers were principally from Newark, Elizabethtown, East Hampton Long Island, New England and England. They were probably drawn by the abundance of iron ore in the country as they erected several forges, hence, the locality was soon after, called "the Old Forges."
The township was first formed about the year 1700 by the name Whipponong, and was then included in the limits of Hunterdon County. The name of Hanover was given about 1746.
Early settlers included Timothy, Samuel and Joseph Tuttle, 3 brothers from the North of England near the river Tweed; Joseph and Abraham Kitchel, brothers, and Francis Lindsley, all from England.