Readington Township municipal offices are located at 509 Route 273, Whitehouse Station, NJ 08889.
Readington Township was created by Royal Charter 15 July 1730. Its government commenced shortly thereafter and has continued uninterrupted to the present.
Located on the riverfront of the South Branch of the Raritan, the oldest remaining house in Readington is the Ryerson house. This lovely Dutch style house dates from ca. 1733. Readington has five National Register Historic Districts: Potterstown Rural Historic District, Taylor's Mill Historic District, Stanton Rural Historic District, Readington Village Historic District and South Branch Historic District. Along with the districts, the Readington Train Station Library is a National Register Building.
Throughout the Township there are hundreds of buildings that are listed in the Historic Sites of Hunterdon County book which was adopted as the historic element of the Hunterdon County Master Plan.
Along with structures, there are 13 private "burying" (family) grounds remaining with gravestones dating from 1744 to the late 19th century. These are recorded and located on private property.
A barn survey to identify remaining New World Dutch barns in the Township was conducted during 1995. Although it did not include all of the Township barns, the most endangered structures were identified and architectural drawings rendered.
Nearby Towns: Clinton Twp • Flemington Boro • Lebanon Boro •