Hedding [†] is a hamlet on Old York Road in northwestern Mansfield. The community had several names, including the name still on the sign at the corner of Old York Road and Hedding Road Ð Three Tuns. A tun was a barrel, used to transport and store beer. The Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church was built in 1847; it was named after Elijah Hedding, a Methodist Episcopal Bishop. Immediately after the church was built, the area was renamed Hedding, which in 1920 became the official name.
† Environmental Resource Inventory, Township of Mansfield, 2007, Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission, www.mansfieldtwp-nj.com, accessed August, 2020.
Hedding Road • Old York Road