Farmington administrative offices are located at 356 Main Street, Farmington, NH 03835.
Farmington [†] started as West Parish, a portion of Rochester that included several large farms. Those farms were separated from Rochester in 1798 as Farmington, a reference to the area's fertile farmland. It was also known as Farmington Dock because its location on the Cocheco River was an ideal spot for sawmills. Those sawmills expanded into shoe-making factories, one of the first places to use automated shoe-making machines instead of handwork. One Farmington resident known in the shoe trade was Jeremiah J. Colbath, who, after changing his name to Henry Wilson, was elected Vice-President under Ulysses S. Grant.
Community Profiles, Farmington, NH, www.nhes.nh.gov, accessed November, 2021.