Haverhill Town Hall is located at 2975 Dartmouth College Highway, North Haverhill, NH 03774.
The town was chartered in 1763 and named after Haverhill, Massachusetts, home of many of the first settlers. In 1773, Haverhill became the county seat of Grafton County. It was also the terminus of the Old Province Road, which connected the northern and western settlements with the Atlantic seacoast. These first settlers, locating in the North Haverhill area, came to farm the fertile flood plain along the Connecticut River, but by the 1790's, greater growth encouraged by Colonel Charles Johnston, was taking place in Haverhill Corner.
Several public buildings, as well as numerous handsome, private residences built during the colonial era, can be found in the Haverhill Historic District that surrounds the common. The moving of the railroad in 1853, initiated great changes with Woodsville developing as a rail junction. By the late 1800's, Woodsville had become Haverhill's commercial center and the county court system was moved to Woodsville from Haverhill Corner. Future employees of the Pike Manufacturing Company settled the village of Pike, which for a time, was the world's leading manufacturer of whetstones.