Pittsburg Town Hall is located at 1526 Main Street, Pittsburg, NH 03592.
Four lakes within the town (St. Francis, First Connecticut, Second Connecticut, and Third Connecticut) are the source and headwaters of the Connecticut River.
The town of Pittsburg was formerly known as "Indian Stream Territory."
It was first explored by a party of land surveyors, under the direction of the Canadian government, in 1787, by whom a considerable portion of the territory was divided into townships during the following year. The territory at that time formed part of the hunting grounds of the St. Francis Indians, a tribe located in the valley of the St. Francis River. The valleys of the Indian stream and Connecticut River seem to have formed the principal camping grounds of the tribe during their annual visits.
The first church organized in this territory was the Congregational in 1822, by Reverend Dr. Rankin, assisted by Dr. Hale. It was succeeded 2 years later by a Free Will Baptist Church under Reverend Aaron Buzzel, from Straffod, NH. A Methodist church was organized about 1826 by Reverend Henry J. Woolley. The first church edifice was built in 1875 by the M. E. church, near the center of the town with Reverend Mr. Presby installed as the first minister.
In 1828 a substantial and convenient frame building was built for school purposes, known as the Center school house, district Number 3. The first school taught here was by Eunice Bunnel from Claremont, between 40 and 50 pupils usually attending.
Lumbering formed an important branch of domestic industry. Many farmers having teams working on their farms during the summer, found remunerative employment in the lumber swamps during the winter, either in cutting and hauling from their own lands, or in working for the larger companies.
In 1848 an act was passed defining the boundaries of the Town of Pittsburg.