Clinton City Hall is located at 221 Lisbon Street, Clinton, NC 28329.
Although Clinton did not officially incorporate until 1822, the town had been the location of Sampson County's seat since 1784. The city's earliest major construction began in the early 1830s with the arrival of several merchant families from Connecticut. Despite several major fires, the town flourished as an educational, trade and political center during the nineteenth century. The 1886 completion of a branch of the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad enabled Clinton to thrive during the latter part of the nineteenth century as an agriculture and timber market.