Hertford Town Hall is located at 114 West Grubb Street, Hertford, NC 27944.
The Town of Hertford developed at the narrows of the Perquimans River, where the river loses its character as a broad estuary of Albemarle Sound and becomes a more typical meandering coastal plain river. Occupying land previously called Phelps Point, which had been selected as a potential courthouse site in 1722, Hertford was incorporated in 1758. The original town encompassed 100 acres provided for by a 1758 act of the state legislature, along with an additional fifty acres which provided for common ground. The first deeds for town lots were signed in April, 1759. Laid out in a grid pattern, the town was bounded by the Perquimans River on the north, Perquimans River and Skinner's Creek on the east, Gum Pond Run on the south, and the Edenton road on the west. Two principal east-west oriented streets lie parallel to Perquimans River and Skinner's Creek: Front Street featuring many antebellum houses facing the river; and one block removed, Church Street, which encompasses the principal commercial district of the town. Fanning out in a perpendicular direction from Front Street are four mainly residential streets, including from east to west, King Street, Dobbs Street, Market Street and Grubb Street.
Nearby Towns: Winfall Town •