The Nash-Hooper House, located at 118 West Tryon Street in Hillsborough, is the only surviving home of a signer of the Declaration of Independence in North Carolina (William Hooper). [‡]
The main block of the house was built in 1772 by General Francis Nash, one of North Carolina's most famous Revolutionary heroes. From 1869-1875 it was the home of Governor William A. Graham, one of North Carolina's most revered Governors and Secretary of the Navy. The Hoopers owned the Nash-Hooper House from 1782-1853. The house itself is a very good example of Piedmont architecture and has suffered few structural changes in its more than 200 years of existence.
The Nash-Cooper House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is designated as a National Historic Landmark.
‡ Historic American Buildings Survey, Nash-Hooper House, 118 West Tryon Street, Hillsborough, Orange County, NC, HABS Survey Number NC-272, memory.loc.gov, accessed February, 2012.
Tryon Street West