Murfreesboro Town Hall is located at 105 East Broad Street, Murfreesboro, NC 27855.
The Murfreesboro area was first settled about 1700 by farmers from nearby Virginia. In 1748 William Murfree, a farmer from Nansemond County Virginia, bought a tract of land on the banks of the Meherrin River, encompassing most of the present town. In 1755 Murfree's landing on the river was designated a King's Landing by the colonial assembly and by the beginning of the American Revolution it had become a haven for merchants in North Carolina's Albemarle section. The landing quickly grew into a small community and in 1781 Murfree offered a 97-acre tract on which to incorporate a town. Murfreesboro was incorporated in January of 1787. William Murfree headed the board of commissioners and laid off rectangular lots from the present Moore Street on the east to Sycamore Street on the west. By 1792 Murfreesboro included a score of dwellings and several businesses along Broad Street.